Read this waiver carefully. It includes a release of liability and waiver of legal rights and deprives you of the ability to sue certain parties. Do not agree to this document unless you have read and understood it in its entirety. By registering for this Event you acknowledge that you have both read and understood the text presented to you as part of the registration process. You also understand and agree that events carry certain inherent dangers and risks which may or may not be readily foreseeable, including without limitation personal injury, property damage or death. Your ability to participate in the Event is subject to your agreement to the waiver and by agreeing herein, you accept and agree to the terms of the waiver and release agreement.
BY INDICATING YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THIS AGREEMENT AND WAIVER, YOU ARE AFFIRMING THAT YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTAND THIS AGREEMENT AND WAIVER AND FULLY UNDERSTAND ITS TERMS. YOU UNDERSTAND THAT YOU ARE GIVING UP SUBSTANTIAL RIGHTS, INCLUDING THE RIGHT TO SUE. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU ARE SIGNING THE AGREEMENT AND WAIVER FREELY AND VOLUNTARILY, AND INTEND BY YOUR ACCEPTANCE TO BE A COMPLETE AND UNCONDITIONAL RELEASE OF ALL LIABILITY TO THE GREATEST EXTENT ALLOWED BY LAW.
I ACKNOWLEDGE THAT BY SIGNING THIS DOCUMENT, I AM ASSUMING RISKS, AND AGREEING TO INDEMNIFY, NOT TO SUE AND RELEASE FROM LIABILITY THE ORGANIZER OF THE KOKOPELLI RELAY AND THEIR RESPECTIVE AGENTS, EMPLOYEES, VOLUNTEERS, MEMBERS, CLUBS, SPONSORS, PROMOTERS AND AFFILIATES (COLLECTIVELY RELEASEES), AND THAT I AM GIVING UP SUBSTANTIAL LEGAL RIGHTS. THIS RELEASE IS A CONTRACT WITH LEGAL AND BINDING CONSEQUENCES AND IT APPLIES TO ALL ACTIVITIES ENTERED AT THE EVENT, REGARDLESS WHETHER OR NOT LISTED ABOVE. I HAVE READ IT CAREFULLY BEFORE SIGNING, AND I UNDERSTAND WHAT IT MEANS AND WHAT I AM AGREEING TO BY SIGNING. In consideration of the acceptance of my application for entry in the Kokopelli Relay, I hereby freely agree to and make the following contractual representations and agreements. I ACKNOWLEDGE THAT CYCLING IS AN INHERENTLY DANGEROUS SPORT AND FULLY REALIZE THE DANGERS OF PARTICIPATING IN THIS EVENT, whether as a rider, official, coach, mechanic, volunteer, or otherwise, and FULLY ASSUME THE RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH SUCH PARTICIPATION INCLUDING, by way of example, and not limitation: the dangers of collision with pedestrians, vehicles, other riders, and fixed or moving objects; the dangers of riding at night, the dangers arising from surface hazards, including pot holes, equipment failure, inadequate safety equipment, use of equipment or materials provided by the event organizer and others, THE RELEASEES OWN NEGLIGENCE, the negligence of others and weather conditions; and the possibility of serious physical and/or mental trauma or injury, or death associated with the event. For myself, my heirs, executors, administrators, legal representatives, assignees, and successors in interest (collectively Successors) I HEREBY WAIVE, RELEASE, DISCHARGE, HOLD HARMLESS, AND PROMISE TO INDEMNIFY AND NOT TO SUE the Releasees and all sponsors, organizers and promoting organizations, property owners, law enforcement agencies, public entities, special districts and properties that are in any manner connected with this event, and their respective agents, officials, and employees through or by which the event will be held, (the foregoing are also collectively deemed to be Releasees), FROM ANY AND ALL RIGHTS AND CLAIMS INCLUDING CLAIMS ARISING FROM THE RELEASEES OWN NEGLIGENCE TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, which I have or which may hereafter accrue to me and from any and all damages which may be sustained by me directly or indirectly in connection with, or arising out of, my participation in or association with the event, or travel to or return from the event. I agree it is my sole responsibility to be familiar with the event course and agenda, the Releasees rules, and any special regulations for the event and agree to comply with all such rules and regulations. I understand and agree that situations may arise during the event which may be beyond the control of the Releasees, and I must continually ride and otherwise participate so as to neither endanger myself nor others. I accept responsibility for the condition and adequacy of my equipment, any equipment provided for my use, and my conduct in connection with this event. I will wear a helmet which satisfies the requirements of the Releasees Racing Rules or Regulations and that can protect against serious head injury, and assume all responsibility and liability for the selection of such a helmet. I will use, and wear designated reflective clothing and lighting equipment which satisfies the requirements of the Releasees Racing Rules. I have no physical or medical condition which would endanger myself or others if I participate in this event, or would interfere with my ability to safely participate in this event. I agree, for myself and my Successors, that the above representations are contractually binding, and are not mere recitals, and that should I or my Successors assert a claim contrary to what I have agreed to in this contract, the claiming party shall be liable for the expenses (including legal fees) incurred by the Releasees in defending the claims. This contract may not be modified orally, and a waiver or modification of any provision shall not be construed as a waiver or modification of any other provision herein or as consent to any subsequent waiver or modification. I consent to the release by any third party to Releasees and their insurance carriers of my name and medical information that may relate solely to any injury or death I may suffer arising from the event. Every term and provision of this contract is intended to be severable. If any one or more of them is found to be unenforceable or invalid, that shall not affect the other terms and provisions, which shall remain binding and enforceable.
PART II (UDOT Waiver)
WAIVER AND RELEASE OF DAMAGES AGAINST THE STATE OF UTAH FOR PARTICIPATION IN AN APPROVED SPECIAL EVENT ON STATE ROADS
Each of us individually (and/or as parent and/or guardian of the named minor) do hereby release, remise, waive and forever discharge the State of Utah, the Utah Department of Transportation, the Utah Transportation Commission, the Utah Highway Patrol, and their officers, agents, and employees from all liability, claims, demands, actions or causes of action whatsoever arising out of or related to loss, or damages and/or injuries, including death, which may result from my participation in the Kokopelli Relay involving roads within the state of Utah.
PART III (USA Cycling Waiver)
In consideration of USA Cycling (“USAC”) allowing me to participate in any USAC sanctioned event, and all activities related to or connected with such an event, including travel to and from an event (collectively an “Event”), whether as a rider, official, coach, mechanic, volunteer, spectator, or otherwise, I, for myself, my spouse, children, guardians, heirs and next of kin, and any legal and personal representatives, executors, administrators, successors and assigns, hereby agree as follows:
1. Assumption of Risk. I am aware that cycling and/or participation in an Event, involve inherent risks, including but not limited to collision with pedestrians, vehicles, other participants, animals, and fixed or moving objects; imperfect course conditions; surface hazards, including potholes; equipment failure; inadequate safety equipment; use of equipment or materials provided to me by others; those associated with man-made and natural jumps; sickness or disease (including communicable disease); and weather conditions. I fully understand that participating in an Event is an extreme test of a person’s physical and mental limits and may involve the risk of serious injury or death, economic loss, property damage or loss that may result from my actions, inactions or negligence, and also from the actions, inactions or negligence of others.
2. Release of Liability. I hereby forever release, waive, and discharge USAC, USA Cycling Development Foundation and each of their respective officers, directors, agents, employees, volunteers, independent contractors, members, clubs, officials, event directors, local associations, sponsors and affiliates as well as the UCI, sponsors, organizers, property owners, law enforcement agencies, local governments, and other public entities, connected with an Event, and each of their respective officers, agents, employees, and volunteers (collectively, “Releasees”) from any claims that may arise out of or are related to my participation in an Event, including claims arising from the ordinary negligence of Releasees.
3. Covenant Not to Sue and Indemnity Agreement. I will not make any claim against Releasees for injury, damage, death, or any other loss arising from or related to my participation in an Event. I understand that if I sue Releasees, Releasees may seek to recover all of their costs, including legal fees. I agree to indemnify, hold harmless, and defend Releasees from and against any actions, causes of action, claims, charges, demands, losses, damages, costs, attorney’s fees, judgments, liens, indebtedness, and liabilities of every kind, whether known or unknown, including foreseen or unforeseen bodily injury and property damage that may be sustained by me or any other person in any way connected to, related to, or arising out of my participation in an Event.
4. Health and Medical Treatment. I represent that I am in good health and proper physical condition to participate in an Event safely. I acknowledge that it is my responsibility to make such determination and that I am responsible for my well-being while participating in an Event. I consent to receive medical treatment deemed necessary if I am injured or require medical attention during my participation in an Event, and to the release of my name and medical information by any third party to Releasees and their insurance carriers. I understand and agree that I am solely responsible for all costs related to such medical treatment.
5. Rules; Regulations; Equipment. As a condition of participation, I hereby agree to be bound and abide by USAC’s rules, regulations, and policies, including those contained in the USAC Rule Book, Safe Sport Program, Code of Conduct and Bylaws adopted by USAC and as amended from time to time and published at www.usacycling.org. I further agree to be familiar with and abide by the rules and regulations established for an Event, to be familiar with the Event course, and to ride and participate to neither endanger myself nor others. I accept responsibility for the condition and adequacy of my equipment and any equipment provided by others for my use. I will wear a helmet that complies with USAC regulations, and I assume all responsibility for the selection of such a helmet.
6. Anti-doping. I understand and agree that the UCI Anti-Doping Rules and U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) Protocol apply to me. I agree to submit to drug testing. If it is determined I may have committed an anti-doping rule violation, I agree to submit to the results management authority and processes of USADA or the results management authority of the UCI and my national federation. I agree that arbitration is my exclusive remedy under the above rules.
7. Use of Information. I understand that USAC may collect or receive my contact information in connection with this agreement, and use it to administer this agreement and for marketing purposes. I further acknowledge, agree and consent that (a) USAC and its designees may share this information with third parties who need access to this information to perform services on USAC’s behalf, (b) USAC may also share this information with select marketing partners, and (c) USAC and its select marketing partners may use this information to contact me with information and offers believed to be of interest to me.
8. Media Grant. I irrevocably grant and license to USAC and its affiliates, the right to capture and use my image, likeness, name, voice, comments or other proprietary or public rights in any broadcast, telecast, photograph, video, or audio sound recording taken in connection with an Event, without compensation, for all purposes, including any commercial use so long as such use does not imply my endorsement of any company, product or service.
9. Governing Law; Jurisdiction; Severability. This agreement shall be governed by and construed under the laws of Colorado, without regard to its choice of law rules. Any legal suit, action, or proceeding arising out of or relating to this agreement shall be instituted in the federal court located in Denver, Colorado, or state courts located in Colorado Springs and El Paso County. Each party irrevocably submits to the exclusive jurisdiction of such courts in any such suit, action or proceeding. If any provision of this agreement is invalid, illegal, or unenforceable in any jurisdiction, such invalidity, illegality, or unenforceability shall not affect any other provision of this agreement or invalidate or render unenforceable any other provision in any other jurisdiction.
I have carefully read the preceding and understand its terms. I attest that I am 18 years of age or older (19 if in Alabama). I understand that I am giving up substantial rights, including my right to sue Releasees for injuries resulting from the inherent risks of cycling and the ordinary negligence of Releasees. I acknowledge that I am signing this agreement freely and voluntarily. I intend my signature to be a complete and unconditional release of all liability to the greatest extent permitted by law.
PART IIII COVID NOTICE
By participating this year, you have accepted the risk of a potential exposure to COVID-19. That being said, we have taken many steps to prevent exposure or transmission of the virus.
Within 10 days of event day if you answer any of the following affirmatively please do not participate on event day:
- Are you ill, or caring for someone who is ill?
- In the two weeks before you felt sick, did you:
1) Have contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19?
2) Live in or visit a place where COVID-19 is spreading?
Do you have any of the following? If so, please do not participate on event day:
- Fever or chills
- Persistent cough
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Fatigue o Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste and/or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting